Monday 23 March 2015

#fooddiaryMokDah: A DIABETIC AND HYPERTENSION PATIENT FOOD DIARY


Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.



A few years ago, when I was admitted to the hospital for severe headache, finally I was diagnose having diabetes and hypertension.

My blood pressure was already way above border line, while the blood glucose count was at 18. Doctor confirm that I'm having diabetes level 2.

The doctor than told it straight to me, "if you want to live longer with God's will, you need to change your lifestyle and your eating habit, there is no two way about it. This means losing weight and increasing exercise are the most effective ways for you to adopt".

Whole-wheat bread or wholemeal bread is a type
 of bread made using flour that is partly or entirely
 milled from whole or almost-whole wheat grains,
The moment I was discharge from the hospital, with  4 different medicines to be taken daily, I started to take the advice seriously to control my diet with a mission to reduce weight. Unfortunately I could not exercise even for a brisk walking or cycling as I have leg injuries. The only exercise I can do is swimming, and to do this I have to go to Kuala Lumpur to my eldest son's condominium. On the other hand I'm not that young to swim freely in an open swimming pool and at my age the metabolism is working very-very slow.

The next wise thing is to control the food in take. For that reason I started to do serious research on the food that a diabetic and hypertension patient, can take and cannot take. Studies shows that eating certain food may help to lower blood sugar and reduce cholesterol. This we can do by eating the right kind and amount of food including fruits. The rule of thumb is to eat more protein, vegetable, certain fruits and food with less fats, carbo and sodium (salt).

My daughter who is a Bio-Chemist is my
adviser. She introduce varieties of foods and fruits to me, which I should be taking, but it is "so western".

Water
Drink a lot of water - try this infused water
It is difficult for me to move away from the tradisional Malay food in take  i.e. white rice with sambal tumis, asam pedas, masak lemak, curry and the sambal belacan to "a western taste", which is claim to be more healthy and good for people like me.

What choice do I have? From the research and with my daughter's advice, I started to learn eating brown rice (whole grain rice) instead of white rice, that has several health benefits to help a diabetic and hypertension patient.

I stated to change my food intake, no more white bread but whole-wheat or wholegrain bread, no no for noodles but pasta cook with olive oil, garlic and season with herbs. A pinch of cinnamon extracts added to the drinks or food or a bowl of oatmeal with berries to start the day. I started to learn eating more salads and soups such as clear soups,  mushroom soups, minestrone soup, besides the chicken soup. On top of that I have to drink lots and lots of water daily. Than I started to prepare my own infused water made of plain water with lemon, cucumber and mint. Since than, I only take green tea or earl grey tea , less coffee but no more milo nor nescafe.

In the research, I also found out the benefit of coconut water, once was the common drink in the old days. To my surprise banana which is high in potassium and magnesium are among the fruits  recommended for hypertension patient besides the berries.At the same time I found out that coconut oil is one of the few foods that can be classified as a “superfood.” Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive effects on health. This includes fat loss, better brain function and various other amazing benefits
I pick up this chart from a friend's FB and thought it is useful to share

Controlling the food in take for hypertension is even more difficult for me. I was advice to totally cut out sodium (slat) and that means my food has to be flat. To tell the truth, I only cut the salt to a very minimal in the food I prepared at home. But I still have to eat outside during weekdays, which I cannot control the salt in the food.

To lower the cholesterol level I started to learn about saturated fat which is not good for me and the good and bad of food containing polyunsaturated fats.

Learning about food fats:
  1. Saturated 
  2. Monounsaturated (omega-9 fatty acid)
  3. Polyunsaturated (e.g., omega-6 fatty acid and omega-3 fatty acid)

What I have gathered from the internet,  food with saturated fat are not good for me as it will increase the cholesterol level.  Saturated fats occur naturally in many foods. The majority come mainly from animal sources, including meat and dairy products: 
  • fatty beef
  • lamb
  • poultry with skin
  • beef fat (tallow)
  • lard and cream
  • butter
  • cheese
  • other dairy products made from whole or reduced-fat (2 percent) milk 
In addition, many baked goods and fried foods can contain high levels of saturated fats. Some plant-based oils, such as palm oil, palm kernel oil and coconut oil, also contain primarily saturated fats, but do not contain cholesterol.

I started to concentrate my food with unsaturated fat (there are two types of fats, polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated fat).

Monounsaturated fat, are in foods like nuts and various plant oils (olive oil, canola oil etc.) that may help lower bad (LDL) cholesterol level.

Polyunsaturated fats are the omega-3 fatty acid and omega-6 fatty acids that have a beneficial effect on our heart when eaten in moderation and used to replace saturated fat and trans fat.

Polyunsaturated fat with omega-3 fatty acid  (Alpha-linolenic acid)

Most abundant in fish (and fish oil supplements), basically improves body's ability. Research has shown that it lowers bad (LDL) cholesterol levels, raises good (HDL) cholesterol level, reduces inflammation as well as prevent or improve a list of diseases and disorders and also help with calorie partitioning.
  • cold water fish - salmon, tuna mackere
  • omega 3 enriched dairy food cheese 
  • pasture - raised meat and milk
  • omega 3 enriched egg
  • edamame
  • wild rice (it is not brown rice)
  • walnuts
  • canola oil
  • flaxseeds
  • beans
Polyunsaturated fats with omega 6 - Linoleic acid 
  • canola
  •  corn
  • peanut
  • safflower
  • soybean
  • sunflower oils.
  • red meat, poultry and eggs.
  • vegetable oils, such as evening primrose oil, mostly delivered in nutritional supplements.

Monounsaturated fats with omega 9 - Oleic Acid 
  • original peanut butter
  • oils - olive,avocado, sesame, peanut,canola
  • nuts - almonds, pecans, pistachios, cashewuts (sodium free)
  • avocado 
  • seeds - sesame 

This chart I pick up from the internet prepare by a dietitian/health consultant
which is useful for those interested to control their diet and fat in tak
Avoid Trans Fats

Trans fats are found in small amounts in dairy products, beef, veal, lamb and mutton.
Artificial, synthetic, industrial or manufactured trans fats are caused by the way some fats and oils are processed. They are found in foods that use hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable fats, such as deep-fried and baked food
s. 
  • Choose polyunsaturated and monounsaturated spreads and margarine
  • Choose lean meat trimmed of all visible fat
  • Choose reduced, low or no fat dairy foods
  • Ty to limit the amount of fast foods and take-away meals including deep-fried and baked foods including store bought biscuits, pastries, pies and cakes that you eat.
Avoid foods that contains ”hydrogenated oils” or “partially hydrogenated vegetable oils” and check carefully in the ingredients list.Hydrogenated fats are everywhere in processed and hydrogenate fats and popular used in many restaurants and fast food restaurants because it stand up better to heat and can be used longer.

In spite of all the research, to tell the truth,I'm not that discipline when come to food in take.I cheated on the food in take many times. I  still take white rice,  as I cannot stay away from the sambal tumis, asam pedas, masak lema, sambal belacan and so on. Nasi lemak and roti canai  is my usual favourite in the morning but not for the time being.

I have this blood pressure machine and also the blood glucose meter at home, at least I can keep track of the count. As per my doctor's advice, I should control the glucose count between 5 and 6 and should not exceed 8. My blood pressure count should not exceed 160.
The scramble egg, mushroom and
baked tomato

It is not easy to control the blood sugar count and as well as the blood pressure at the so that it does not exceed the border line.  This is when I learn the trick. Whenever the blood count or the blood pressure shoot above the accepted level,  I control strictly my carbo in take to keep the blood sugar level low. One thing for sure, I do not take sugar be in the drink or cakes and sweets what so ever. If the blood pressure is high I control my food in take with no salt (sodium) at all and low cholesterol food.

Now, my breakfast is confine to toast wholemeal/wholegrain bread dip in olive oil with balsamic vinegar or a spread of olive butter and jam for diabetic patieng. Other than that will be oatmeal, non sugar coated cereal with low fat or skim milk, scramble egg or omelette with olive oil, bake tomato, mushroom or potato. My lunch and dinner shall be either brown rice, broth or pasta and soup. I take baked, steam or grill fish, lots of vegetable like spinach and green beans and the green leafy salads. On weekends I prepare food like popiah or vietnam popiah, malay salad call "kerabu" made from varieties of vegetables and other malay dishes such as "fish asam rebus, singgang and pindang"  which do not need frying. If I cooked fish curry, I will use yogurt or low fat milk which also do not need frying. 

Oatmeal and extract of cinnammon
I also took a lot of foods rich in potassium and magnesium. What does that means? It is eating more low-fat protein sources, wholemeal/wholegrain food, vegetables and  plenty of fruits. I take considerable amount of berries such as blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Others shall be baked or boiled potatoes or sweet potatoes, banana with high potassium and magnesium, beet roots (cooked, bake or make into juice).

It is easier said than done to to balance the diet.Not to deny myself from enjoying the food, I have made some variations in the food I take while keep watching the sugar level and blood pressure everyday.
Omelette and toast wholemeal bread

Below are my food diary for my breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be a combination of the followings, but keep the salt content and carbo very low. However if the blood count and the pressure goes beyond acceptable level at any time, I will quickly switch to strict diet of no carbo, low cholesterol food and no salt at all.

My food diary contains:

Breakfast 1:     egg (can be omelette, poach, half boil or scramble) with mushroom, cheese, onion, tomatoes or potatos (bake or saute with olive oil) to be eaten with toast bread (wholemeal or  wholegrain)  

Breakfast 2:     Oatmeal or wholemeal or whole grain bread dip in olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Salmon shashimi, edameme and taufo

Breakfast 3:     Toast wholemeal or wholegrain bread with olive butter and no added sugar jam for diabetic


Breakfast 4:     Cereals containing wholegrain ingredients with no sugar and low fat milk


Breakfast 5:      Baked sweet or white potato with green leafy salads and avacao oil

Lunch & Dinner 1: Japanes shashimi or chicken/beef tapanyaki and vegetables
Cesar salad

Lunch & Dinner 2: Salads season with olive oil or avacado oil with lean beef/chicken strip and egg

Lunch & Dinner 3: Chicken soup or minestrone soup with potatoes and carrot  with toast wholemeal of wholegrain bread dip in olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Lunch & Dinner 4: Wholegrain rice - brown rice with saute mixed vege and bake or steam fish 

Lunch & Dinner 5: Grilled or baked meat or chicken burger (home made) with wholemeal or wholegrain bread and vegetables

Lunch & Dinner 6: Wholegrain brown rice with steam fish and vegetables
Vietnamese popiah

Lunch & Dinner 7: Wholegrain brown rice with "fish asam rebus, or singgang or pindang" and vegetables

Lunch & Dinner: Popiah made of vegetable is another food that I love to take. This has to be home made so that I can control the ingredients made from turnip, been sprout and carrot cooked together and wrap with the popiah wrapper made from flour. Another kind of popiah which is popular is the Vienam spring roll, also made of raw salad, cucumber, carrot, spring onion and steam or boil prawn wrap with rice paper

It is in fact a challenge to balance my diet as I have to control my glucose level for diabetes and at the same time to control the blood pressure where salt (sodium) and food that triggers bad cholesterol is the "enemy".

BUT, I have a confession to make. Since I love home made food, what I do, on weekdays I try my level best to follow the food advice by my dietitian. On weekends it is a different story.  I eat what I want in moderate since I'm doing the cooking and have all the luxury while in the kitchen. 

One thing I notice, if I follow strictly on what was written in the internet on the do's and don't on food for healthy living, I will end up cannot eat anything and deprive from enjoying the food. Therefore, what ever we do including eating good food,  go for moderation, choose wisely and go for small portion. @23.03.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment